WHO ARE YOUTH OCEAN ADVOCATES?
Youth Ocean Advocates are students interested in advocating for marine wildlife and habitats. Students in this program will support the New York Seascape
by advocating for conservation actions in local communities.
WHAT WILL YOU DO AS A YOUTH OCEAN ADVOCATE?
Youth Ocean Advocates work within the NYC community to support a wildlife conservation campaign, learn how environmental policies impact communities and the health of the environment, and explore ways you can influence change as a young leader. Students will assist in planning and coordinating World Oceans Day activities in June.
WHAT WILL YOU RECEIVE?
- Over 90 hours of training and interaction over the course of the program
- Access to respected experts in the field of urban ecology, marine biology, and communication
- Increased confidence in leadership and public speaking
- New friends and relationships within the community
- Skills for collaborating with others from different backgrounds with diverse perspectives
- $300 stipend upon completion of the program
WHAT ARE THE PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS?
You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for participation in this program:
- You must be a high school student in good standing
- You must be a NYC resident. Students from the Bronx and Brooklyn are strongly encouraged to apply.
- You must be available to meet for after-school workshops on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays afternoons (exact day TBD) between late September and mid-June.
- You must have internet & an internet-enabled device (computer, tablet) with a forward-facing camera and microphone.
- You are interested in supporting marine conservation programs and strengthening your skills as a youth leader.
- You are interested in understanding how environmental policy works and how it impacts communities.
We are currently accepting applications for the 2022-23 cycle of the Youth Ocean Advocates Internship. The program will take place between late September 2022 and June 2023.
Have a question? Email email@example.com