The New York Aquarium Shark Internship is an in depth program for future Animal Care professionals that focuses on the essential skills and knowledge necessary to enter this competitive field.
During this internship, interns will work side-by-side with the Aquarium’s staff to maintain daily animal care excellence. Experienced aquarists will train you in the disciplines of cleaning, dietary preparation, quarantine procedures, exhibit systems and maintenance, animal feeding and training; and so much more.
- At least 20 years of age
- Current college student or recent graduate
- Proficiency in swimming
- A commitment of at least 3 days a week for 20 weeks, 4 days a week for 15 weeks, or 5 days a week for 12 weeks; with the ability to work weekends
- Interest in pursuing a career working with sharks and rays
- Able to work well in a busy and fast-paced environment
- Physically able to perform laborious tasks in extreme weather conditions
- Be able to lift 50 lbs
- Able to complete all daily tasks independently
- Provide own housing and transportation
- Provide one letter of recommendation (preferably from a previous animal care experience)
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
- Dietary Preparation
- Cleaning and maintaining all animal exhibits and behind the scenes areas
- Observing animal behavior
- Daily record keeping
- Completing all reading assignments on time
- Complete an internship project and reporting results to the team
*There is also potential for intern participation in feeding and training of sharks and rays*
How to Apply:
Please email cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject “Shark Internship”. If you are interested in volunteering, please visit the volunteer page.
** This position is viewed as a job, and therefore consistent attendance is required **