Ever daydream about the subway doors opening where you could giant-stride right into your favorite tropical reef? Ever wish you could spend the morning swimming with African penguins but have Brooklyn pizza for lunch?
Want to start filling your logbook year-round without an airplane or a boat ride?
Join the ranks of the NY Aquarium Volunteer Dive Team!
Between tending to our collection habitats, interacting with and educating our visitors both above and below water, and assisting the keepers with any other tasks that might require underwater support we do over a thousand dives a year.
Directly contribute to the mission of the Wildlife Conservation Society.
Help save wildlife and wild places.
Educate and inform our visitors about the underwater world we love as divers.
Learn about marine wildlife and ecosystems.
Gain more experience and more training as a diver.
You can do all of those things at the same time as a member of the NYAVDT!
- Be able to commit to working one full day, 8:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., every other week for the span of a year.
- Volunteers must be at least 21 years of age.
- Certified scuba diver from an internationally recognized
- Rescue Diver certification preferred
- Minimum of 25 logged dives including at least 5 logged in the past year
All applicants must attend an orientation briefing. Orientations are held Saturday or Sunday mornings once a quarter; they include a meeting and a tour of the facility. The full orientation takes approximately three hours.
Please email email@example.com for available dates. Occupancy is strictly limited and restricted to qualified Dive Team candidates.
No active volunteer work/diving is performed during the orientation day. Completed volunteer paperwork is not yet due at that time.
No diver can be accepted for consideration until he/she has submitted all of the following documents.
- Volunteer Diver Applicant Personal Information form
- Volunteer Diver Medical form
- Volunteer Diver Informed Consent, Waiver and Release form
- Volunteer Dive Agreement form
- Photocopy of highest level Dive Certification card
- Photocopy of last 25 dive log pages or all pages of Intern applicant divers
- Volunteer Diver Release for Aquarium
- Volunteer Diver Agreement
- Volunteer Diver Medical Information
- Volunteer Diver Personal Information
Please Note: This is NOT a "Swim with the Dolphins" or "Swim with the Sharks" program.